Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Mitsu no Aji - A Taste of Honey"

"Mitsu no Aji" is a strange drama.  Naoko (played by Eikura Nana, from "Mei-chan no Shitsuji") is naive girl who falls in love with her uncle, Masato (who was adopted, but still...).  She follows him to Tokyo to medical school with dreams of being with him.  But, turns out he had a girlfriend all along, Aya (played by Kanna Miho who was great in "Guilty" and "Magerarenai Onna").  She is brilliant, cold, and calculating and senses Naoko's feelings for Masato.  Aya's actions in response to Naoko's appearance in Tokyo all scream "get away from my man, he's mine."  We see Aya's secret smiles of glee as she destroys Naoko's hopes of being with Masato.  Why Aya is so threatened is a bit puzzing, since Masato acts oblivious to Naoko's feelings.  The whole taboo angle I admit is part of why I'm watching.  I don't get why Naoko is so into Masato.  I think I just don't find the actor ARATA to be all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips.  He seems a bit old for the part, but since the show takes pains to say it's taking place in 2003, maybe the show will progress to the present and the age thing won't be bothering me later.  I've only seen the first two episodes, but Kanna Miho's performance is really good so far.  Eikura Nana as Naoko is growing on me.  Mizobata Junpei (the current "Detective Conan") plays Naoko's classmate who will probably form the "love rectangle" of the show.  I'm interested in how it's going to play out.  I don't think the show will let Naoko and Masato live happily ever after, so how this is going to resolve will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment