Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Starship Troopers 3: Marauder"

I admit I enjoyed "Starship Troopers" from 1997 starring Casper Van Dien, Denise Richards, Patrick Muldoon, and NPH (Neil Patrick Harris). It's got a good looking cast, science fiction, pretty good CGI alien bugs, so cheesy it's good dialogue, and some satirical humor. It's all back in "Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" but with a dinky budget and horrible acting. One actress who has an strange accent I figured was South African (Afrikaans?)since it was filmed there is extra horrible. Casper Van Dien is back, looking pretty good for a decade later and the same writer is back. The low budget shows, but the movie tries to make up with it with extra gore (lots of flying decapitated and/or exploding heads) and gratuitous nudity. The end actually has some giant robot mecha (!) in it and I think if there was a larger budget it would have looked about a million times better and been featured more. I actually even watched the first sequel which sucked horribly and I had low expectations for this one. But, as you watch you get start enjoying it in a guilty pleasure way.

No comments:

Post a Comment