Monday, August 20, 2018

Off Topic: "Crazy Rich Asians" and other Hollywood Asian movies

Just saw this movie yesterday.  I remember watching "Joy Luck Club" in the theater (so long ago, the theater is demolished now) and crying my eyes out at the end and being embarrassed because I ran into an old high school teacher all red-eyed walking out.  That was the last big Hollywood "Asian" movie with an all Asian cast except for one guy, the guy from "Pretty In Pink."  I remember my mom talking about "Flower Drum Song" and "Sayonara" and "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" which are other Hollywood "Asian" themed movies.  I don't think Jennifer Jones qualifies as Asian though.  "World of Susie Wong" is a movie I never saw.  I did watch "Better Luck Tomorrow" which was great and "Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift" (lol) also made by the same director Justin Lin.  I know Justin Lin directed one of the new "Star Trek" movies.  I also remember watching "Dim Sum" in a super tiny theater in San Francisco when indie movies were a thing.  Oh yeah I remember watching "Wedding Banquet" in a small SF arthouse theater as well back in the day.  I miss all those indie movies that the old "Siskel and Ebert" movie review show would recommend.  Anyway, I don't know how to process watching this movie.  It was an entertaining rom com which is a genre in a bit of a decline in the age of Marvel movies.  Everyone is gorgeous.  Michelle Yeoh is a queen.  I do admit crying twice in the movie a little bit.  The theater had quite a few Asians in it who laughed and responded at the correct times when you have lived as an Asian in America.  That was a nice experience.  It's not a deep movie, but it doesn't have to be.  It's a fun romance and it doesn't have to be THE ASIAN movie that describes every facet of being Asian American.  Need more Michelle Yeoh though in SOMETHING.   Hmm, do i HAVE to shell out for CBS streaming to watch the new "Star Trek?" Jeez I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, Funimation...

No comments:

Post a Comment