Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Manga recommendation: "What Did You Eat Yesterday?"


Fumi Yoshinaga is a famous mangaka known for writing "Antique Bakery" and "Ooku."  I've seen the anime for "Antique Bakery" which I enjoyed.  I read I think two volumes of "Ooku" but never got into it.  I have read her BL which is always very sensitive and mature about how people relate to each other.  "What Did You Eat Yesterday?" is about a gay couple, Shiro and Kenji, but it's not a BL series.  It's more about their mature, adult, normal, everyday relationship and... cooking.  Each volume has several long scenes involving Shiro cooking detailed recipes about mostly Japanese cooking and the occasional western dish.  In truth, I don't know anything about traditional Japanese dishes, and the descriptions of the various ingredients just goes over my head.  But, each time, Shiro and Kenji throughly enjoy their meals and that is entertaining.  Their relationship and their interactions with their friends and co-workers actually is the most gratifying part of the manga series for me. Shiro is a successful lawyer who loves to cook and keeps the household budget in mind.  Kenji is a more laid back  hairstylist  who throughly enjoys Shiro's food.  Over time, we get to see the intricacies of their relationship and the latest one, volume 8, is the one I've enjoyed the most.  I laughed out loud a few times and teared up a little bit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment